Thursday, August 7, 2008

Less Whining, More Pictures


Did I say less whining? I didn't mean it. I took the girls into NYC yesterday, our first order of business being a bike ride around Central Park. It should have only taken us an hour and a half to get there, but I managed to take us, after much indecision, naturally, to the wrong platform in Penn Station. So off we went in the wrong direction. Then, when we got to Central Park and managed to have our bike ride, I took us -- wait for it -- the right way across the park to get to the Natural History Museum. But somewhere in the park, in a place of great mystery called The Ramble, I lost my orientation and ended up bringing us, 20 minutes later, back to the wrong side of the park. This meant we had to cross the park twice (the width, not the length, thank goodness).

The bike ride was very pleasant, tho the rusty, brakeless wonders you can rent in Central Park perhaps made for more excitement than I would have liked.

Eventually, we arrived at the American Museum of Natural History and had a marvelous few hours at the Rose Center, where the planetarium is. I particularly liked hearing the booming voice of Maya Angelou as the mysteries of the Big Bang unfolded to a whirling of galaxies on the floor of the museum's theater. Holly seemed particularly impressed by the old-fashioned dioramas.






We ended up at the M&M's store on Times Square. I have no idea why girls like that place, but it's on Jesse's Must See list whenever girls visit. I just sat down, exhausted, in a corner and played games on my new I-phone while they toodled around the place. I reallly, really suck at Cube Runner.

But I love the I-Phone. Had I deployed it sooner, I might not have gone the wrong way across the park. It certainly guided me to the nearest Starbuck's, a vital function when I needed it. My dear and wonderful husband insisted I buy it when my old cell-phone decided that the cruel world was too much for it. Ordinarily, I resist going high-end, but that's a silly habit I'd like to get over. One day.

No comments: